Case Study: Data Centre Relocation
Project Management, Logistics, Procurement, Installation and Documentation
AXIS relocated 14 racks of equipment from one data centre to another, consolidating into a smaller number of racks within a tight outage window. A detailed port-level audit was required, as there was no existing documentation. AXIS then developed a cable plan and applied it to supply pre-labelled cables for the new environment.
- Audit: Hand-trace cables, photograph and label all hardware. Used to produce new site documentation.
- Project Management: Schedule with departments and numerous vendors, while updating remote stakeholders.
- Installation: Relocated equipment mounted in new racks and interconnected. Testing with remote support teams as systems restarted.
- Site audits successfully deﬁned existing systems and connectivity, as well as addressing issues in new site (power and interconnects).
- Completed within maintenance window allocated and on budget.
- Services and systems restored without any issues.
What Made This Successful
- Planning and working with customer’s system owners ensured minimal disruption.
- Data centre expertise and skilled technicians avoided issues and overcame any obstacles.
- Specialist logistics services ensured the goods were insured, packaged, transported, unpacked and all packing material removed. No equipment was damaged or lost.